The First Welland Canal opened in 1829. Since then, it has been re-engineered and improved 3 times. This 4th Canal currently in operation was built between 1913 and 1932.
It connects Lake Erie to Lake Ontario via a system of 8 different locks along the way to permit the boats to go up or down depending on the direction they’re heading. The most amazing and interesting part of the Canal is at the Niagara Escarpment, where the Boats have to go through 3 consecutive Locks to climb it.
The Twins Locks Tour lasts 1 hour and is 5km. It starts from the Lock 3 Museum and continues South towards and up the Niagara Escarpment.
The Lock 7 Tour lasts 2 hours and is 9km long return trip (5.5 miles).
It starts at the Lock 3 Museum and goes all the way to the Lock 7 Museum and Viewing Complex at Thorold.